File-Based WorkloadsWe are in an age of explosive data growth — and unstructured data is growing the fastest: images, videos, audio files, email, documents, text and the like. Unstructured data accounts for over 70% of data in all organizations and this explosion has left many organizations scrambling to accommodate growing capacity demands. Unfortunately, many organizations can’t meet the growing capacity increases quickly enough and so significant amounts of unstructured data remains isolated on servers, unprotected by shared storage and difficult to manage. This takes a toll on the servers, which are overburdened, leading to poor disk resource utilization and complex & costly management and inconsistent backups.
All too often organizations purchase separate storage devices for bulk file storage to separate their large amounts of infrequently accessed file data from impacting their more active business applications. This involves migration policies and tiering which further complicates storage.
Starboard AC Series for Unstructured Data
Starboard Storage enables organizations to confidently consolidate their file and block-based applications on a single multiprotocol storage system. Starboard Storage offers solid-state performance at incredibly low dollars per terabyte on a single system.
Both NAS and SAN are supported natively in a single 3U storage appliance that can scale to over half a petabyte for handling large data sets. CIFS and NFS are supported for file workloads.
- The Starboard AC-Series automatically manages the active data and data-at-rest within the system to ensure it is placed on the correct media to optimize performance and cost efficiency. Active data is accelerated via SSD cache, while cold data sits on large affordable hard disk drives.
- Starboard Storage supports millions of small files (optimized for files as small as 512 bytes) and/or larger files and volumes efficiently on a single system with high capacity efficient utilization. Volumes and snapshots are thin provisioned.
- Easily grow capacity (to over half a petabyte) and performance with simple plug-and-play expansions.
- High density storage with up to 576TB of storage in 19U of rack space saves on power and cooling and data center footprint.
- I/O stream detection routes random and sequential workloads through the system for best performance.
- Simple provisioning and management for both block and file workloads are accommodated from a single pane of glass console that enables IT administrators to manage application data quickly and easily.